Author Topic: No Front Turn Signals  (Read 151 times)

LonerOverland

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
No Front Turn Signals
« on: May 07, 2019, 01:11:55 PM »
Hey y'all, just bought a 1999 Montero last week and finally have some time to start fixing her issues. It has JDM clear front housings with new bulbs and only the rear turn signals work. Any ideas?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: No Front Turn Signals
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 01:51:45 PM »
I'd start simple by just checking that there's voltage across the front sockets. 

If you don't know how to take the front turn signals out,  open the hood and look for a little wire hook protruding from the metal inner edge of the fender a few inches straight back from the turn signal.    That's the end of a spring,  pull it straight back toward the rear of the vehicle while pushing it into the recess behind it and it will relieve tension on the turn signal housing.    Then remove the JIS (Philips-like) screw visible on the inner top corner of the turn signal.   Careful if these are original screws they are actually made of warm goat butter instead of metal and will very easily strip. 

Now the turn signals will easily pull forward and out.    Reassembly is reverse of disassembly. 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
Bulbs probably aren't plugged in.  The pigtails are different between the jdm y0 bulbs and the USDM trucks.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
Bulbs probably aren't plugged in.  The pigtails are different between the jdm y0 bulbs and the USDM trucks.

Do you mean to imply that some previous owner would just slap some poorly considered, functionless cosmetic modification onto a vehicle and then not even bother to make it operate even at the most basic level? 

But, that never happens! 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 04:09:07 PM »

Do you mean to imply that some previous owner would just slap some poorly considered, functionless cosmetic modification onto a vehicle and then not even bother to make it operate even at the most basic level? 

But, that never happens!

Of course not, that never happens on nearly free old SUVs.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

LonerOverland

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 11:01:33 PM »
Haven't checked the voltage yet, good idea. They do have pigtails and do seem to be wired in, I'll make sure.