Author Topic: Baseline Service Recommendations?  (Read 143 times)

Montykup

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Baseline Service Recommendations?
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:54:43 PM »
Hi all.  I just purchased a 97 Montero LS with 71k miles and am looking for baseline service recommendations.

I am planning on timing belt and water pump and am thinking it will need valve stem seals based on the clouds of white smoke coming from the tailpipe after cold start and pushing accelerator.

Does anyone have a Montero mechanic theyd recommend in the Denver area?  Im considering tackling these items myself too.

Thanks!  Looking forward to Montero life
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:29:32 PM by Montykup »

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: Baseline Service Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »
You'll want to download the factory service manual from www.mitsubishilinks.com  to assist - that's going to make life easier and save you some cash.

Doing the timing belt, water pump and valve guide seals all at once is a marathon but in the long run it does save time and money vs. doing first one then the other.     At least if you're DIY'ing... if a shop does them they will bill as two separate jobs (but if they're an honest shop they'll be kind on billable hours since it will save them a bit of time to do both) 

If you DIY the best tool for the valve guide seals - to remove the valve springs - is the official Mitsubishi tool, but unfortunately that's about $450 for the tool itself.    I bought one to do mine and my brother-in-law's, and then sold it to Josh @ ADD since he works on these engines more than I do. 

The second best tool as I understand it is the Lisle tool,  it uses hammers and magnets and magic.. apparently a pretty big pain in the ass on at least 3 of the valves but still doable.     There are some guys who argue it's easier to just take the whole engine out for this job so you can work entirely un-encumbered;  I actually think they might be on to something.  Being serious,  once you get this deep in it's actually not much further to just pull the motor and then with it on a stand you can have access to everything all at once. 

You're going to want to replace every fluid in the vehicle (yeah every.)  and also check this forum for a thread about everything that can leak coolant... check all that stuff.   Timing belts and overheating and the "Cash for Clunkers" program are the three top reasons these trucks went to junkyards without a collision.   

Great vehicles once you get on top of deferred maintenance!!

Montykup

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »
Wow!  Awesome info shovel.  Thank you!  Im hoping to get several more years out of this rig with this maintenance and the addition of 32x11.5s.

RyanY

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »
While you've got it apart to do the valve stem seals it makes sense to replace the valve lifters with the updated units that have the larger 3mm oil hole. Lifter tick is common to lots of Mitsu engines and if you don't have it yet you likely will in the future.

Also, it's recommended to use OEM parts (Aisin) for the timing belt tensioner and water pump, as aftermarket parts have remarkably high rates of premature failure.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 05:40:03 PM »
While you're in there, just preemptively replace every seal and gasket on the entire motor outside of the head gaskets.  Small engine bay = great attack angle = nearly everything is an enormous pain in the ass to replace if it's leaking vs its contemporaries.

+1 to consider just pulling the motor.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:42:09 PM by concealer404 »
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)