Author Topic: Replacing a 4D56 with D4BF in a JDM Pajero  (Read 211 times)

Crankshaft Culture

• I'm new here!
Replacing a 4D56 with D4BF in a JDM Pajero
« on: June 16, 2020, 05:13:04 PM »
Hello! I have a '92 SWB Pajero that has a cracked 4D56 block and a V5MT1 transmission. I am considering replacing the 4D56 with a brand-spankin' new D4BF. However, I'm not sure the engine mates up to my existing bell housing.

I've seen this thread (https://forum.adventuredrivendesign.com/index.php/topic,702.0.html) about putting one in a D50, but I already have the JDM transmission and that thread hasn't been updated in some time.

Does anyone have any insight on this? (I realize this is a Pajero, a JDM engine, and not widely known, but I figured I'd ask here!)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Replacing a 4D56 with D4BF in a JDM Pajero
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:16:45 PM »
It's the same engine, it's just manufactured by a different company, the designs are licensed from Mitsubishi and produced by Hyundai, for your purposes, treat it like it's a 4d56 made by hyundai, because it is.

Crankshaft Culture

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
I know the alternator setup is different (twin belts vs single) and the injection pump linkage will need to be swapped over. Also, the intake manifold will need to be swapped to accommodate the intercooler.

Motor mounts: A 4D56 is a D4BF, right? So if I wanted to replace the motor mounts, now would be the time, right? Obviously it'd need Pajero mounts not Delica mounts as it's going into a Pajero. I assume they share the same mounting locations to the block. (Sorry for the n00b stuff here; I'm new to engine swaps.)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 02:51:55 PM »
Ah gotcha, you're talking external engine parts, i meant just the engine itself, block, head, pump.

Transfer all your accessories and pulleys etc over from the Montero, motor mounts are similar, if not the same between the truck and van, either way their mounting points are identical on the block, so you're headed down the right path on buying montero mounts, ive found the mounts to be the same in appearance for most the RWD 4 cyl engines, diesel, astron, sirius, from 1.6 up to 2.6, if bolted in the RWD configuration, it seems to just use the two bolt lower with stud upper, flat mount.

Crankshaft Culture

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 03:45:49 PM »
Yeah, it's all just exterior stuff. If I can run the double-belt alternator and pulley from the Delica I probably will. I do have a brand-new Pajero alternator; we'd just need to pull the pulley off the old 4D56.

In case you're wondering what people have been doing with Delicas, here's "the" tutorial people have been using.

https://delicaforum.com/index.php?threads/hyundai-d4bf-info-and-installation-guide.1137/#post-8274