Author Topic: Pilgrimmage to Mitsu HQ in July  (Read 9054 times)

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Pilgrimmage to Mitsu HQ in July
« on: April 06, 2017, 06:40:29 PM »
After years of watching from the sidelines, we have decided that this is the year when we are going to make the trek to California for the annual Mitsu Owners Day at corporate HQ in LA. So far there is my 97 Pajero Evo, my buddy's 96 Delica Space Gear, and my former 93 Pajero LWB diesel, now owned by a buddy. We may have others joining us from here.

We are leaving from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, near the end of June, and plan to head south through Montana,via Moab, Utah and AZ on our way down. Would love to hook up with some of you on our way south. I'll be posting the details of our route as we narrow it down. Suggestions for must-sees are welcome. We'll be camping each night. A pajero-evo with a roof-top-tent is probably not ideal for Dakar, but will be great for this particular rally!

PA_JERO

• View Profile
Re: Pilgrimmage to Mitsu HQ in July
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »
That's awesome that you would take all those mitsu's over to LA. Once you have some dates locked in, let us know. I'm sure we could set something up for a day or two, depending how long you will be in AZ.

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 07:50:28 AM »
So the date is now confirmed... July 8th, 2017.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/events

We are planning to leave on the last day of June.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:13:36 PM »
I'll be there. Hopefully with my mighty max. If not, one of my other handful of Mitsu's. I hope to be able to bring Kevin, Adam, Pat, JB and others from the AZ crew, I should probably get a plan, thinking camping up near big bear after the event, night of the 8th. Camping at MOD headquarters the night of the 7th to ensure a parking spot at the building. I plan to show up around 6pm, by 11pm it's getting full.

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
Closer to the date, I'd like to get a solid, confirmed headcount so I can let my contact know how many of us be there to camp out (unofficially, if at all possible).

This is gonna be good.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »
We would really really like to make Moab and then AZ part of our route, and caravan and camp with you guys on the way down and the night after, if you can put up with us for that long? :) If we could get a mild run in at your local stomping ground prior to the MOD, that'd be even better (bearing in mind we will be in unmodified rigs).

I can't believe we are almost into May... this will be here before we know it!

Oso

• Mr Wonderful
  • Half the lies told about me aren't true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 09:42:47 PM »
I'm planning on attending as well. Any chance we can wheel a trail or so the day after?
90 LS - not your average bear.  <((I))>

"You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't."
 - John Prine

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »
if we plan to camp in the mountains north of LA, we can have a lot of fun without much effort. I've camped along some forest roads out there and in some OHV staging lots, it'll be nice to get up in elevation that time of year too.

Any LA cali members willing to share some trail info?

As for AZ local trails, you guys are welcome to come out east near toasty and i, we hit bulldog canyon often, It's a light duty sunset cruise trail. It's a great little trail that a stock vehicle does fine on and all obstacles can be avoided.

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »
Both these options sound great! Bear in mind we will have two stock rigs with no armour, so mild will be the order of the day. Its looking likely that my old rig (the LWB 4m40 diesel that I took to Moab three times) will also be coming with us (the guy I sold it to has since become "one of the fellas"). But my PajEvo and Wade's Delica are stock height, and more in show condition than trail ready (well Wade's is - mine is not really even in show condition either, but it is def stock).

I'd like to drive down through Moab, cut across to AZ and then we can all head to Cali. Whereabouts am I aiming to wind up, in AZ? And are there campgrounds nearby, or a backyard/driveway etc where we can park for the night or two we will be there? Need to include the Driggs in this caravan as well. We are leaving on Friday (last day of June) from how it looks now, so allowing a few days through Montana, idaho, possibly Wyoming, and Utah, with a Moab pitstop, we would probably be into Wednesday or Thursday reaching AZ? What would be the itinerary for LA? Would you leave AZ Friday morn to reach there Friday evening?

Sorry for all the questions - have no direct experience with these places yet...

After the MOD we have about another week or so to get home, so some camping and/or trails heading north out of LA would be perfect! But you guys have trail leader status - I've not ventured south of hole in the rock, south of Moab. At least, not while driving...

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
I've decided to do a timing belt job, prior to the trip. But now that I'm in there, part of me wishes I wasn't... Damn the DOHC sophistication...

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »
 You'll be alright man!

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
Mitsubishi HQ is 8 miles from my place, and I plan to be there for MOD. I have some suggestions for local trails - one easy option for a ride; we could drive 45 min from MOD to Silverado Canyon Road, up to Santiago Peak, then down Main Divide Truck Trail to Ortega Highway, and have a toast at Craft Brewing Company - leaves everyone with pretty easy access to interstates from there.

About 30 miles of trail, so maybe three to four hours to complete. Any stock Montero can do this trail, and there are some great views.

www.craftbrewingcompany.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:13:21 PM by johneric »
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »
 Sounds cool, Maybe we should make some plans...

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »
Alright folks, we had a little call with MMNA media contact person. They're watching our forum and have been inspired by our community effort to get to MOD.

Here's the preliminary schedule for ADD and AZ Crew

July 3-6 gathering in Phoenix area. Light trail rides (very light, stock trucks will handle everything)
Camping is available near ADD and in the back yard of our houses as space permits. Please PM me or Adam if you need to secure accommodations. Otherwise please post here to let us know the rough head count.

July 6, early morning departure for big bear area or some OHV type camping near big bear. We may secure a large Air B-n-B but funds have been tight for us so that might not happen.

July 7, exploring big bear or other areas, staying up in elevation to keep cool basically. Meet at a rendezvous point and embark to MMNA HQ around 6-7pm (sunset). Set camp on the lawn at MMNA (showing the utmost respect to their property of course)

July 8, event. Show love to mitsu, talk trucks, teach the evo guys about the alternatives. Shows done we head back to a trail of choice (always centered around stock trucks participating) and set camp for the night.

July 9, head out in our respective directions.

Please post your respective schedules as you all firm things up. They've been notified about the Pajero evo attending and misc other rare vehicles. this week they have a meeting to discuss the direction that media coverage of mod will go. We might even end up with mitsu riding along with us for some of the trip. Polish those rock crawlers and paint those underbodies, it's gonna be the first major presence of the 4x4 mitsu realm at MOD. Thanks to everyone that's contributing or attending!

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
I hope we're seeing a change in Mitsubishi's attitude toward enthusiasts since the Nissan take over and it looks to be a positive one.
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"