Author Topic: Pilgrimmage to Mitsu HQ in July  (Read 9038 times)

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Pilgrimmage to Mitsu HQ in July
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »
 I'm stoked to meet a bunch of you dudes, I can't believe I've not met Offroader in person ever or Mudraider for that matter. ;D

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »
If we are driving via moab, I wonder where's a good place to meet up with you fellers on the 6th? Now that my truck is back together it's time to get route-planning!

Spacegear

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »
So first night in Montana.(july 1st)
2nd night in Moab
3rd night ?
4th night...gotta be someplace that does a wicked July 4th Show.

July 5 =Arizona?
July 6= head to Calif.
Jul 7 over night in Cypress a MMNA
July 8 = MOD 2017 and then ?
July 9 or 10 startheading to Oregon and back to Canada.....lots of stops still to go.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »
Lake Powell has a great show and its put together by a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 forum founding father, Ryan Hertz does the pyrotechnics for the show.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
Ok, so it sounds like most everyone is heading for MOD around thursday? Is this what I'm understanding? Trying to gauge an idea of when I should be preparing for us to depart. Any plan as to what time of the day we want to leave?

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 05:35:51 AM »
Can't wait to get there
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:40:22 PM by MudRaider »

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:35 AM »
For the record, I'm leaving Phoenix about 6-7PM Thursday night, so I'll be a potential wingman. I'll have V, P, and V's mom with me. We're staying at Grandpa's house in Covina, and headed back to Phoenix Monday morning.

For anyone who's will be taking I-10 west out of Phoenix for the first time, you're in for a real treat, or an adventure, if you don't have AC. Make sure your cooling system is rock solid, and make sure you bring at least a gallon of drinking water per person. This is some of the hottest, most remote stretches of highway in the country. And while there's reliable cell service and plenty of traffic, a breakdown can mean you're sitting in 115F/45C+ son for a while.

I've done the drive in DSMs, GVR4s, an 89 2.6 without AC (for MOD, in June), and Fezzik. It's an amazing place, but it's fucking hooooooooot out there, and there are a couple long (10+ mile) climbs at honest speed.

That said, I'll make sure I've got the truck setup for sleeping on the lawn. That's gonna be so cool.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 10:00:18 PM »
I'm a little worried bout the heat. This for sure convinces me that Mitsu, my faithful sidekick (see avatar) will not be coming with me this time. Even if he wasn't 12, Lotta fur for that kinda heat...

We are pushing ahead departure till Sunday now. Little less pressure.   

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 06:51:09 AM »
I suspect you'll be fine. It's cooler near the ocean, though it will still be warmer than Canada at MOD. Still, MOD is usually crowded and loud. I don't think I've ever seen more than a handful of dogs at the event. Probably a good idea to leave Mitsu home.

My words of caution are more related to the stretch of tarmac between Phoenix and, say, Beaumont, CA, and directed at anyone not already familiar with the run. It's literally open desert with double digit miles between services. If there's an accident and traffic backs up, you can only ride it out.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
I drove from Palm Springs to home (San Tan Valley, AZ) with coolant blowing out of my exhaust due to a blown head gasket. I did have to stop like 5 or 6 times to top off coolant in random parts of the desert, but I made it. Just take extra precaution when you drive up any major inclines which you won't do alot of through our travels until the climb towards big bear, but it should be slightly cooler through that area, hopefully.

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »
For those of you who have been to the event before, what can a n00b expect? I'd heard there will be a section in the lot for Monteros to park, but I've also heard that if you're not parked by 0100 hours on Saturday morning, you won't get a spot. I don't live far from the site and could just bike over if parking isn't an option, but I'll be disappointed if I can't bring Blue over.
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »
You've heard correctly. If you're not there the night before, you're pretty much shit outta luck. The lot is full of squatters by dawn, and there will no doubt be a long line of cars down Katella by sunrise.

If you're closer enough to pedal over, consider throwing your bike in the back and driving by Friday night. I believe we'll be camping on the front lawn. Maybe you could roll through, grab a spot by us, then ride the bike home?

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
capital idea! primary motivation is the roll-out i've imagined, as the event wraps and a pack of monteros head out for a trail. just don't want to miss that!
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

Oso

• Mr Wonderful
  • Half the lies told about me aren't true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »
I'll be coming down from the Bay Area on weds or Thursday . Our plan is to camp at elevation (5k ft), east of San Bernadino. We'll be above the heat and the smog. Friday am we'll explore a few trails and head to MOD to get there early and claim our space. The camp spot wont be far off the I 10 so hopefully it will be easy to meet up with the AZ guys and add to the convoy.

Disclaimer: the camp spot and trail have been explored by a buddy but I've not been there personally. He says there is enough room for a lot of trucks to camp in the high pines. Apparently this is a local trail and not from a book. The trail apparently continues down to a lake on one side of the mountain and a suburb on the other. He reports it is really tame and all vehicles should be capable.

Apologies for not being more active, I've been absent lately due to some family stuff on the other side of the country. I've come back to Cali for a couple weeks to prep for MOD and finally meet everyone in person - including MudRaider (if facebook allows him parole to travel). Looking forward to meeting all of you.
90 LS - not your average bear.  <((I))>

"You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't."
 - John Prine

Drew84

• View Profile
    • Auto Off Topic Podcast
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
This is going to be really neat. Take lots of pictures!
Keep your cars analog.
1990 Talon TSi
1991 Galant VR4
1999 Montero "Cold weather"